The Brooklyn man accused of shooting a man to death with a revolver on a Bronx sidewalk had nearly 90 arrests prior to when cops cuffed him Wednesday.
Jamel Burney had been arrested 86 times before he shot 46-year-old Michael Vermong, the NYPD said.
The 32-year-old faced a judge on Thursday morning and was remanded without bail. He's due back in court April 4.
Burney had one disorderly conduct and six petit larceny and theft of services cases between 2004 and 2005, according prosecutors from the Brooklyn District Attorney's office.
Brooklyn DA Eric Gonzalez said all were minor charges and convictions. The various sentences for each ranges from time served to up to 90 days in jail.
"It's not just about the severity of the crime, it's about the frequency of the crime," NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill said Thursday. "It's nothing the NYPD can do alone. We'll talk with the district attorneys to make sure there are consequences for their actions."
Authorities arrested Burney after officers found Michael Vermong with a gunshot wound in his chest in front of a money transfer store near East 205th Street and Bainbridge Avenue in Norwood early Wednesday morning.
Paramedics rushed him to Montefiore Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
There was bad blood between Burney and Vermong, who was shot in point-blank range with a revolver over an apparent drug dispute, according to NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce. He said the two knew each another and were at odds for some time.
Detectives got Burney to confess to the crime, Boyce said. Police charged him Wednesday with second-degree murder, manslaughter and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
from NBC New York - Top Stories http://ift.tt/2odWWVg
source IFTTT
